Sunday, March 20, 2016

My Experience Sharing Protocols in the New "protocols.io" Environment

<Source>
Scientists publish methods in their manuscripts, but these summaries can fail to capture the technical details involved in the described processes. Many scientists get around this by by making the actual step-by-step protocols freely available to the public. There are a variety of avenues for accomplishing this. Some scientists publish their protocols with their manuscripts, some post them in public archives, and others publish them on their lab websites. There are advantages and disadvantages to these approaches, and most of us are always learning about new and improved resources to facilitate the sharing process. I recently learned about the online resource protocols.io, which is a surprisingly robust and free resource for sharing experimental protocols.

I originally learned about protocols.io when their group VERVE Net (of the Hurwitz lab) graciously transcribed our group's published computational protocols over to the protocols.io environment. Our computational protocols were originally archived on FigShare. Although the protocols were only recently uploaded to protocols.io, I have been impressed with what it offers.

The most compelling benefit I can see with using protocols.io is that it offers a new degree of visibility to your research. By being part of their environment, your protocols are searched for, and viewed by, a wider scientific audience. This means that more people will learn about your research, use the approaches you developed, and cite your work as a beneficial contribution to the field.

The other benefit I can see from using protocols.io is the user-friendly interface optimized for scientific use. Not only can you search for and view protocols, but you can follow along with them in their app step-by-step, check off completed tasks, use integrated timers, etc. You can also fork protocols (i.e. make your own copy) that you can update to meet your own experimental needs. It definitely feels like it was influenced by common software version control resources such as Git.

<Source>
Now this is all fine, but wouldn't a system like this only be good for "wet lab" protocols and not computational workflows? It certainly seems to have been built for "wet lab" protocols, but it works surprisingly well with computational workflows too. I honestly don't see it replacing source code repositories such as GitHub, but I do think it has a place for publishing widely-used standard operating procedures (SOPs) for various bioinformatics tasks. As an example, the Mothur SOP for processing 16S rRNA sequencing data is available on the Mothur Wiki as a step-by-step workflow. I could see a reference workflow like this being published in the protocols.io environment.

So in the end, I would suggest checking protocols.io out. It is a cool effort toward promotion of scientific transparency and collaboration, and I think you could benefit from using it.

Did I miss something or fail to elaborate on a point you want to hear more about? As always, I invite you to let me know in the comments below.  I would love to hear from you!


2 comments:

  1. I'm here to testify about what DR. OYAGU did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 2 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Shayla Bosschart on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OYAGU on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. OYAGU prepared and sent me Healing Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. OYAGU assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. OYAGU for help via email} oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com whatsaap him through his mobile} +2348101755322. , Thanks once again DR. OYAGU for making me a happy woman again.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I have read Your Article and Learn a lot from it. I can Imagine the time it took to get all this expertise exposed . You can also look here to see where to easily get a FAKE BANK STATEMENT I've bookmark your site and furthermore include RSS. keep us refreshed all the time.

    While doing more research , I fell on this EXPERTS TELEGRAM GROUP which helped me to obtain a statement for Wells Fargo of which my loan was approved with ease . I was amazed so I decided to share the platform for everyone to enjoy their services.

    ReplyDelete